Lambda Phi History

In the late 1925, a group of Omega Men, consisting of educators on the campus of Fort Valley State College, began discussing the possibilities of forming an Omega Chapter in the Middle Georgia area. In November 1925, the Lambda Phi Chapter was organized. In December of the same year, they formally petitioned the fraternity for a chapter. The Supreme Council, under the leadership of Grand Basileus George L. Vaughn approved the petition and the charter was granted, thus the birth of Lambda Phi Chapter was achieved. The Lambda Phi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi was founded January 9, 1926 by Brothers William A Davis, William Frayser, Clarence Moore, Dr. C. W. E Dyer and L. R Bywaters. The Chapter was Charter on January 26, 1926 as Lambda Phi Chapter- Fort Valley, GA. However, in a need to service the brotherhood in the Middle Georgia Area and beyond, the Chapter received a second Charter on March 9, 1926. The Lambda Phi Chapter was re-Chartered as the Macon-Fort Valley Graduate Chapter. This marked a significant moment in the history, because Lambda Phi became the first African- American Greek Letter organization in the Middle Georgia Area. Lambda Phi Chapter was the first Black Greek Letter Fraternity organized in the Middle Georgia area.During the later parts of the 1920’s and early 1930’s many chapters had difficulties remaining active during the War period, thus causing the chapter to go into a transition phase. In December 1935, thirteen brothers re-organized the chapter. Those brothers were: C.W. Moore, Basileus; L.R. Bywaters, Keeper of Records and Seal; W. M.H. Thomas, Keeper of Finance; S. B. Pride, Chapter Editor; H.L. McCrorey, Jr., Chaplain; W. B. Adamson, B.J. Barrow, James Wiley Brown, H. A. Hunt, Jr., S. Q. Mitchell, G. A. Rivers, J. W. Williams and G. M. Woodard. Although the chapter was able to function in a limited capacity,  Lambda Phi went through a period of transition.  Many of the brothers in the chapter were Educators, in the Medical profession, and soldiers stationed at Camp Wheeler; because of the mobility of these brothers at the time the chapter went into an inactive state. On Friday, October 1, 1943, nine brothers of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, met at The College Center, in Fort Valley, Georgia, for the purpose of reorganizing and re-establishing the Lambda Phi Chapter as an active chapter of the fraternity. The following Brothers were present: J. H. Brown, W. M. Boyd, G.N. Woodward, J. O. Williams, B.T. Griffith and T. B O’Daniel and L. R. Bywaters, Keeper of Finance of the chapter during its active days in the past, all of Fort Valley. Also present were C. R. Woodward and E.C. Stephens, of Macon, Georgia. A tenth Omega man was present in the person of Brother Shaw, a visiting Brother from Camp Wheeler.